SATing on the Dock of the Bay, Leading to Asian Food (Oh Yay)

Last night I went to bed early, and before I did so I had gone over some sample problems for the SAT to get myself familiar with it again. I took the PSAT in the fall so I knew basically what the content would be, but I still wanted to be more prepared. I was going to take the practice test that I had, but I really didn't have the will to do it, and using up three hours of my time for it instead of sleeping ultimately would probably have been worse for me. I got up feeling well rested- an unusual thing indeed- and I ate pancakes for breakfast in the process of getting ready. Bearing watch, snack, water, calculator, admission ticket, pencils, an eraser and my ID, I went up to the testing area at the beginning of the science hall and sat myself down at my seat. Everyone funneled in by 8 o'clock, and surprisingly the guys in the room were outnumbered almost four to one by girls. I don't know what the other room looked like, but it seems a little weird that out of the 14 students in the second half of alphabetical last names taking the SAT this morning, only 3 were male.

Officially I am not supposed to talk about the questions until the results are released a few weeks from now, but I will say that I felt good about the test overall. A few of the questions were hard, but I think I got pretty much everything, especially with the math. I do not often say good things about math, but because it's so mundane and simple it was much easier to get an answer for the math problems on the SAT. With writing and reading, even if there is a precise correct answer, often it is the most correct, and in many cases, writing that the SAT people would judge as wrong, or less correct, is simply a tendency that has become part of a student's writing style and has gone unaddressed by teachers. If a student did something wrong in a math assignment, they'd know about it. Language, especially English, is incredibly more boundless that math. It is subjectivity versus objectivity, and in the realm of knowledge, the first is much more attractive to me.

By 12:45 we were done and I went to lunch with Morrisa and Courtney at Sushi Harbor. It was only the second time I had gone to the place but it was pretty good, at least for Japanese food. I'd rather take Chinese, Thai, Mongolian, Vietnamese, Filipino, Indian- most any other Asian food any day, but for most of those my experience has been limited and with Chinese, the food has become rather Americanized, even though I'd like to think I know authentic stuff. Japanese food is still good- it's just that I have yet to find a dish from the cuisine of Nihon that has truly wowed me, while the other genres above have given me some great tastes. Let me introduce you to some good stuff, one from each country I mentioned:
  • Chinese: Dim sum is great, which is a cuisine in itself. There's tons to choose from as far as dim sum is concerned. It's like sushi is to Japanese food, except it encompasses a lot more and is way better.
  • Thai: Phad thai has to be one of the best ways to do noodles around.
  • Mongolian: What American knows any more about Mongolian food than Mongolian Barbecue? Every time I have gone to Anchorage I have gone to Twin Dragon Mongolian Barbecue, except for the last time I went... but I don't want to talk about that.
  • Vietnamese: I know fried banana isn't unique to Vietnam at all, but it's what I remember from the one Vietnamese restaurant I've gone to. I remember that the rest of the meal was just as good as dessert though, so still.
  • Filipino: Chicken adobo is perhaps the best way chicken is done in the entire world. Go to the Galley and get it.
  • Indian: Vindaloo. Lamb vindaloo. Need I say more?
There you have it. But one last thing- the title of this post absolutely must be sung.

Comments

  1. Patricia (from your french trip)30 June, 2008

    I cannot imagine you singing the title.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What's that supposed to mean? I can sing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!