No Rest on the Seventh

Today was my seventh day of school. You can be sure you'll keep hearing how many days I've gone through as the year goes on, since today was also the day that we got our planners. There's a handy little box at the top of each day where you write what day of school it is, so I don't think I'll be able to resist keeping track. Although it may be somewhat boring for prospective readers, I find a class-by-class run-through of my day to be a good thing to do. It's what I've done for my parents at the dinner table for years and it's certainly something I could look back on in the future. Besides, I think I've done enough high-substance writing for today. I just finished writing a very nice introduction to my expository speech for Speech and Debate, and I think I will use it for Academic Decathlon as well. And so, here is my day:

I woke up at 6:20 feeling especially ready for Monday despite the fact that I had gotten far too little sleep. I ate breakfast and then took a shower, after which I got the newspaper and read through it- something that I should very much make a habit, considering the current events Mr. Bolling runs through every day seem almost entirely taken from the Daily News. My brother had gone back to bed while I read, and when he began getting up for the second time I got a lunch for myself and headed out the door.

I think I may very well follow my brother for once and take up his habit of perpetually wearing two shirts at a time. I was quite cold in certain classes during the first two weeks of school but today I didn't seem to notice a problem with my tshirt and longsleeve. I arrived at Kayhi around 7:50 and got to calculus a couple minutes before 8. (Here in my writing of this I was suddenly struck with the idea that it would comparatively be very tough for future historians to figure out our language. English is so damn complicated.) That however has nothing to do with first period this morning. Basically all we did was get our planners, do four warm-up questions, go over the questions, and then take a quiz consisting of four questions all almost exactly like the ones we did for warm-up. In retrospect now though I think I still may have missed a thing or two on the quiz, so I'll have to see how I did.

In government we took a current events quiz which I'm sure I aced. With ten questions on current events there were three extra credit questions, two of which I know I got. I guess the teachers are just starting the year off easy... We then started watching Obama's acceptance speech. We'll finish it tomorrow and then start on McCain.

In literature we finished watching a movie we started on Friday. Even though I agree with many of Ms. Kummant's educational philosophies she indicated but left largely unstated in her talk on the first day of school, I honestly can find no value in the two videos we've watched so far and would rather have done many other things in class. This is an Advanced Placement class and I'd really like to start reading and writing soon. Hopefully things will get better once we move past what we read during the summer and I won't start wishing I was in Bowlen's class again.

Today was the first day with Mr. Ortiz focused on the speech in speech and debate. We talked about the nature of the oration or expository speech and then thought up topics about which to write our own. I have decided on my recent weight loss as the topic of an expository speech and wrote a good introduction for it. I won't say any more about it until it's basically complete, and then I think I'll post the speech here.

In French we reveiwed the geography of West Africa and began reading a little book about an African girl who apparently is going to California. I am somewhat confused as to why they would speak French in California, but the girl is from Mauritanie, so there is actually a French connection. The blank maps each of us filled out of West Africa were great review. I knew most of the countries from harkening back to my geo bee days, but I had forgotten how to differentiate Togo from Benin and Ghana from Cote d'Ivoire. Thankfully I've gotten that back down after today. I'm pretty sure now that I would be able to label a blank map with the names of every land nation in the world. The only thing bothering me now is Oceania and perhaps some island groups in the Indian and Atlantic as well. I can still boast though. Very few can match my mental map of the world.

After French I had my first experience of being kicked out of the commons. I took Cry the Beloved Country down to a bench in front of the office and a few minutes into sixth period the principal said I couldn't be there. Although I'd very much like to fight against that ridiculousness, I enjoyed the more confortable seating in the library and I think I still may be breaking the rules. I am now very close to finishing the book, which has been very good, and I plan on finishing it tonight. It hasn't been the story so much that was exceptional, although I love it, but rather it is the poetry and voice within the novel that makes it so unique.

At the bell, the students got out and my break was over. I went up to Mr. Powell's room and within fifteen minutes we officially kicked off Kayhi's 2008-2009 Academic Decathlon season. We have quite a few new members, some of whom have been familiar with AcDc for quite some time but now seem to be seriously joining. I'm hoping it's going to be a really good year.

I suppose the one bit of rest I got on this seventh day was this was the first day that I didn't walk home. I got a ride from Auntie Myra (Mme. Z.) instead. Of course I've also eaten quite a bit today so I think that fact is going to lead me to even more excersise and sacrifice over tomorrow and the next few hours especially. I think it's time to get on Wii Fit.

Comments