Years

Hopefully my sonnet below wasn't too disconcerting for those of you who visit here somewhat regularly (because no one but me actually reads this regularly). I believe that may be only the third piece of poetry I've posted since the inception of this blog almost six months ago, and I have not written but one or two more poems in that time that haven't been posted. Obviously, poetry is not a common form of expression for me. But I still work on it.

It seems almost incredible that it's been almost six months since I made this blog. The other day I wondered if I had posted anything on my 17th birthday, but it seems I didn't even mention it- at least not in either the posts the day before and the day after May 24th. To me, birthdays aren't a big deal. I haven't actively tried to celebrate mine probably since before I entered High School, although of course my family always organizes something. (And no, I am not a Witness.) What that date does do for me, however, is place a landmark in my mind. To think- I have been alive for nearly 17.5 years, and nearly a whole 35th of that time I have been expressing select thoughts of mine on this little blog.

Speaking of years, recently I was thinking about the way we speakers of English state the year we live in. The last year of the 19th century was spoken as nineteen hundred. It would have been quite unwieldy to say one thousand nine hundred; that's two more syllables. And so the 20th century ran its course rather smoothly, going from nineteen oh one all the way through nineteen ninety nine where at its last year the world faced a major turning point: how were we going to say 2000? In Sweden, (and other places I'm sure) the year was twenty hundred- in the nation's native language of course. In English, however, twenty hundred requires one more syllable than two thousand, and that extra time spent saying the date would result in endless inconvenience. The choice was clear.

And so, the new and magnificent 21st century began in the year two thousand one, each year since leading to the present two thousand nine vastly superior to the ungainly twenty 0h- alternative. This next year, though, that reality will be turned on its head.

Next January 1st, the English speaking world must choose how they will say 2010. I have already decided what I will say, and call me simple, but I will say twenty ten. Twenty ten is one syllable less than two thousand ten, and so assuredly it will win out among the people of sensible nature. Two thousand has had the honor of issuing from the people's mouths for ten years, and its place in history is well deserved. Starting in 2010, however, it will no longer be the most efficient way to state the year- not ever. The rest of this millennium belongs to twenty and its compatriots, and not unless the very divinity of Jesus is thrown down will two thousand rise again.

Comments