National Novel Writing Month

You may or may not be aware of this, but November is in fact National Novel Writing Month! Actually, I have a feeling that this might not be a nationally legislated title but rather just what November was designated by an ingenious organization coincidentally named National Novel Writing Month. The goal of the organization is to assist people throughout the world in reaching the following goal: Write a 50,000 word novel entirely within the month of November. For a writer like me, this obviously seems to be an insurmountable task; I am, after all, a blogger, who is impressed when he churns out a thousand-word post and then is entirely finished with the topic. My American Government project on the presidential election that I did the Wednesday morning before last was in fact over 3,000 words and was probably one of the longest pieces of writing I have ever done, although most of it was just restatement of presidential promises. (I have put the project here if you want to check it out, although obviously it's a little late considering what happened yesterday.) In short, I seem to have a short attention span. Especially when it comes to trying to write novels. Around 5th and 6th grade I did actually get pretty far with a fantasy novel idea- almost 3,000 words. Last year I was first told about National Novel Writing Month (or NaNoWriMo, as it's called) by my cousin, and taking a science fiction idea I had probably already written a thousand words for I turned that into just over 3,000- again seemingly the magic number. Those are my most serious attempts at novels, folks. I probably have written a thousand or more words on several dozen novel ideas throughout my life, but when it comes to churning out words I just can't seem to be able to do it. That's what NaNoWriMo is supposed to help me aim for - quantity over quality - but now I find myself again mired in inability to keep on writing as I take the challenge for the second time, and what is my word count? 1,361. It is, of course, not even a week into November. I know I'm definitely not going to reach the NaNoWriMo goal like others - like my cousin - seem so easily able to do, but I actually do feel I have a pretty good story idea, and I have in fact set myself a tangible goal that I intend to stick with: I will write more than a tenth of the words my cousin writes. As of right now she has over 11,000 words (I know it's crazy) so I just have to imagine that number with a zero cut off and keep staying ahead of her. Do you think I can do it? If I do I will have over 5,000 words written by the end of the month, and I consider that a big accomplishment.

Comments

  1. You know, you can just call me by my name, too, instead of "my cousin". That's totally fine. XD

    ...and I'm prefer it, my dear cousin. ;\

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry I do that to everyone; I rarely name names in my blogging- except my own I suppose. But not in my posts!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!