Lengthen Your Shower, Save an Ocean

If there is one place in the world with a limitless supply of clean fresh water, it's Ketchikan, Alaska. Even so, in these last few months I've taken up one habit in particular that I think has probably saved a large amount of water: I've taken longer showers.
Now, if you're a typical American, which I usually am, you probably take a pretty substantial shower pretty much every day. What I've been doing is quite simple; I only turn the water on when I need it. Basically it goes like this:
Turn on water for a bit.
Turn it off.
Soap. 
Shampoo.
Turn on water for a bit.
Turn it off.
Condition (if necessary).
Turn on water once more (if necessary).
Turn it off.
Now that may seem a little complicated, and indeed it will probably lengthen your shower, but showering does use up quite a bit of water, so think about what you could be saving with one simple habit.

Comments