A Motto, Lisa Murkowski, and the Lie That Is the U.S.A.

In the most unequitable of fashions, for the last few days I have been starved of writing topics. Now, today, when I actually have something I really should be studying for, I have a glut of things about which I could write. Firstly, I was inspired today to adopt an insightful new motto regarding the relationship between the political parties of the United States:

Democrats waste money. Republicans waste lives.

Obviously both political parties do both things, but I think this may sum up an essential difference. Tell me what you think.

Speaking of Republicans, today Lisa Murkowski - Senator for All Alaska - came to school. (Mark Begich is Senator for All Alaska too, but no one talks about him except to say he is a Democrat and paid back taxes.) Anyways, during third period a large group of students went to the auditorium to listen to the Senator speak and to ask her questions. I was among them. I've met Lisa twice before and she was by far the best member of our congressional election as of last year. She even went to law school with my dad. She's even a "moderate Republican," even a sometime "RINO" in the view of "true conservatives." (Of course even Don Young is called a RINO, so I don't think that's very applicable.) Regardless, she first gave a nice little spiel about various things for us and I was struck by an epiphany when I realized that all she was doing was impomptu speaking. I can do that! I can speak from experience about being bad at speaking, but now as I've spake more and more I just keep getting better! I only wish more people developed their potential for public speaking. It can indeed be something to be afeard of, but if you take a few sweaty bullets at the beginning you can develop something of which it's definitely worth being proud.

Moving on, the questions Lisa was asked revolved basically around a few state issues, and then - the stimulus package. None of those things were all that interesting for me. Here I'll address my question, which was "In the United States today, who do you think is most in need of governmental assistance?" Essentially I wanted to plumb the depths of her expressed compassion, and her answer was caring, but after thinking about it I realized there was something missing. Obviously the question was a bit surprising, but her basic answer was quick and good: the vulnerable. She then talked about children, the elderly, those at risk of losing their jobs, etc. The thing is that I don't think the vulnerable are the most in need; yes they are at risk of losing what they have and are more threatened by injustice, but what about those who have already lost and already suffered? What about those who had nothing to begin with? Today I learned that Senator Murkowski worked as a banker (or on a bank's board) for some time. To me, this is as great a symbol of disconnect as one can ask for. How can those who have nothing be helped in a society that doesn't even see them? How can you secure the bank accounts of those that don't have any? Why do we allow ourselves to pretend that ours is a classless society?

On a far lighter note compared to all this politics, now I turn to what probably seems the most insidious element of the blog post's title: the lie that is the United States of America! What's in a name... that is the question. In the U.S.A., the word "America" is in the name. So what if I told you the ugly truth... not all of these united states are of America! In truth, this country's name became a lie the day that Hawai'i joined the union.

Yes, it's true. The Hawai'ian islands belong to no continent. They are of the region known as Oceania and are in no way connected to the Americas - only politically. Friends, countrymen, how can we be the United States of America if one state doesn't fit the bill? It's time to discard the final qualifier of our country's official name. If you want Hawai'i to stay in the union, our name has got to change. We can't keep lying to ourselves folks; we shall live only in the United States, because it hasn't been all about America for quite some time.

Comments