Blondes, Blue Eyes, Marriage and Muslims

Recently while researching a debate topic (Resolved: Morality is part of human nature) and while looking up "human nature" I happened upon an article entitled "Ten Politically Incorrect Truths About Human Nature." The article is interesting, to be sure. It brings up a few insights into myself, a few questions for all of us, and - of course - some criticism.

1. "Men like blond[e] bombshells (and women want to look like them)"

Number one, this is a bullshit generalization. Of course this can be forgiven, if one accepts the idea that men generally have a particular liking for blondes, which is probably true - in this society with our culture. Although in other light research I've seen there are at least a few other hypotheses out there for why blondes exist (and have been favored by natural selection - at least in the past), the hypothesis posited as fact by this article is that men are drawn to blondes because they look younger. I can understand this idea to some degree, but here's where a "personal insight" comes in: I'm not attracted to blondes (at least never because they're blonde).

What could this possibly say about me?

As a matter of fact, if I was forced to choose preferences for hair color, I would say my first is dark to medium-darkness brown, followed by red (on occaision). The truth is I don't find the idea of a subconscious indicator of extra youth to be especially appealing. I don't know what it is about me, but I am extremely picky when it comes to age and thinking about others to date or even thinking about others to... think about. What I mean is, I have no sympathetic connection with partners that are more than a few years apart, and I am especially wierded out by high schoolers who go outside a year or so in romance. I honestly don't know why this is, but there must be something that makes me sick when I see seniors even bordering on flirting with fresh-girls or other such situations. In short, I like females who are mature (i.e. my age - and not much older). "Extra-youthful" girls aren't for me, and blondes just aren't my thing.

Also included in this "truth" was the "reason" that blue eyes are "attractive": you can better tell whether the pupils are dilating. This is kind of funny because this exact same thing came up in class today with a friend of mine being freaked out looking at another's blue eyes dilate. I don't really have much of an opinion on that hypothesis, but I have heard other explanations as to why people have blue eyes... and candidly... (I don't know if I want to say this.) ... blue eyes kind of freak me out too.

2. Humans are naturally polygamous

Although I wouldn't say the points for this point are the best, I have been intrigued previously by ideas about how we are harmed by society's demand for exclusivity in romantic love. Think about it... you really can (and do) love more people than just your family plus one more. Is it cruel for society to expect people to be "faithful" when they have the potential to create more passion and love? (positive things, to be sure). That philosophy is all very interesting, but then again, I think the article gets this issue right on with its next point:

3. Most women benefit from polygyny, while most men benefit from monogamy

This may seem to run entirely counter to what stereotypical gender differences of opinion would be on the idea of polygyny, but the logic behind this point is entirely sound. It seems one could easily say that the reason monogamy is so strongly instituted in the western world is that we have (had?) such a patriarchal society. On the other hand, I don't see how women would be "liberated" if they would supposedly benefit from polygyny just by all pairing up with the same most powerful males. What about the other side of polygamy that usually goes completely unmentioned? (this article being no exception.) Polyandry! (That's one woman having multiple husbands.) Now that is something that males would protest. Perhaps monogamy is the best way to go. Let's hear it for balance, eh?

4. Most suicide bombers are Muslim

This "fact" may be true in some sense, but the supposed "theory" posited by the article as to how suicide attacks are connected to sexual deprivation is to me... just... BULLSHIT. Basically these people say that 1. Muslims can have multiple wives according to their religion, so some men get left out in the cold; and 2. Suicide bombers are promised virgins in the afterlife, so Jihad is how young single guys fulfill their desires.

The idea that polygyny is somehow commonplace in "Muslim" society is a total myth - and there is absolutely no such thing as Muslim society. Polygyny is banned or extremely rare in many majority-Muslim countries, and polygamous marriages are estimated to account for 1-3% of Muslim marriages. Give me a break!

I agree that there is much to be said for suicide bombers being young Muslim males... That's not always true, of course, but when it is, I will tell you it has nothing to do with "women shortages." Not all Muslim societies spawn suicide bombers. The key is to look at the places that do: Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Iraq, Pakistan. Examine socio-economic causes there, Psychology Today, and don't give us half-baked sexuality crap.

Ultimately, what I think I'm trying to say with this post is... don't assume all half-baked sexuality crap is true. And next time you look at a blonde-haired blue-eyed girl, think to yourself - why?

Comments