Conservapedia Ban Follow-Up

Obviously this is not too important a topic, nor one on which to linger, but I thought that if any readers were at all amused by the events occurring in this post, they would surely be amused with the continuance of the story.
Almost immediately following my writing of the afore-linked-to-post, I wrote the following email to the administrator on Conservapedia responsible for my ban. (Note my utterly shameless concilliatory writing.)
Dear "TK,"
I have been a member of Conservapedia for a long time. I am a regular visitor of the site and an occasional contributor to many different entries.
A few times during my membership I have criticized news items on the main page. Just yesterday, I decided to do so again regarding what I saw as an innappropriate and ignorant news item on the four Uyghur men released from Guantanamo Bay. The article and the item on Conservapedia seemed to me to make the statement that injustice elsewhere in the world (China) justifies the clearly unjustifiable violations of these men's rights by the United States. Regardless of our corresponding stands on the incarceration of enemy combatants, it's been reported that most of the seventeen Uyghur men sent to Guantanamo in 2001 were determined to not even be enemy combatants as long ago as 2005, so it is particularly frustrating to me that only four have now been released and that Conservapedia (a site that as I said I value and visit very much) would seemingly make so light of their plight.
With this frustration it seems that I was overly sarcastic in my criticism. Nevertheless, I was very surprised to see this today:
Your user name or IP address has been blocked.
The block was made by TK. The reason given is Trolling / Liberal Trolling.
Start of block: 20:42, 16 June 2009
Expiry of block: infinite
Intended blockee: Rockthecasbah
You can contact TK or another administrator to discuss the block. You cannot use the 'e-mail this user' feature unless a valid e-mail address is specified in your account preferences and you have not been blocked from using it. Your current IP address is 206.223.222.68, and the block ID is #54695. Please include all above details in any queries you make.
TK, I am not a common troll. I'm not even an uncommon one. I would very much appreciate it if you removed this block so that I can continue to contribute to the Conservapedia community.
Thank you very much.
Peter Stanton ("Rockthecasbah")
This was the response:
"Been reported" should never be confused with facts, Peter.
You are making an illogical leap, deciding that how you interpret a news item, makes it factual, or even that others would draw the same (wrong) conclusion you did.
You also state a false premise about their supposed rights. People picked up in a battlefield environment, carrying weapons, are not "innocent" by any conventional standard.
In any event, we are an encyclopedia of a political and religious bent you disagree with. We have no obligation, moral or otherwise, to provide you or anyone else, a platform to disagree. Thinking that we do, insisting that you be heard, is illogical.
--TK
This was my reply:
Dear "TK,"
Firstly, we are not on a first-name basis. The fact that you have decided not to communicate with me as your actual self seems to indicate either a lapse in common civility or a desire to continue hiding behind your position in your own delusional internet realm. (I'm going to assume it's the latter.) Obviously you are quite satisfied with the power you have in that little world of yours, and I will leave you to it.
Your second statement in this email is so absolutely hypocritical I can't even bring myself to explain it to you. And the rest... well, I guess it's just what you have to do to keep your little world pure.
Best wishes,
Peter Stanton ("Rockthecasbah")
Unsurprisingly, there was no response.

Comments

  1. I will admit that this angers me. I usually try to see both sides of the road, but THIS sounds like an ignorant chauvanist lashing out at someone who has given another opinion. It is, I am sorry to say, rather a typical stance of Extremists the world over. Perhaps they should change the name of the wiki...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!