The Peace Prize and Updates on My Life

When we last left our blogger, he had just pledged to post more frequently, albeit more briefly. It has been nine days since then and the Publisher has been in stasis. Not to fear! I promise - I bring change.

Speaking of change, I would like to briefly address a news event that I heard about this morning in French class. In the past there have been questionable winners of the Nobel Peace Prize, maybe even ridiculous winners. All of these Nobel laureates, however, can be shown as actually having done something that might have contributed to peace. Apparently this policy has changed. Eight months as President of the United States is very little time to actually create peace, and Barack Obama has clearly has not accomplished anything in this vein. The Peace Prize has been consistently awarded to persons with long and prominent histories of service or who have worked tirelessly towards the attainment of selfless causes. Mahatma Gandhi, who I would argue is the greatest man of peace the world has ever seen, did not receive the Nobel Peace Prize. Until President Obama actually accomplishes anything remotely peace-related, he does not deserve this prize.

Now, I will say no more about this news, but on a separate note, you may have read in my last post (in the last email contained therein) that a few weeks ago I actually went to a rally for health care reform at which the President spoke. The speech had some good points, and it was pretty well done, but clearly the health care bill being dealt with in Congress now will not be anywhere near as constructive as Obama may have made it sound. One week after I went to the rally, Representative Dennis Kucinich came to Georgetown and also talked about health care. He spoke tirelessly in support of universal healthcare, and also hopefully, predicting that the in succeeding decades we would see more and more popular movement towards a rational and moral health care system. I even told him so when I shook his hand after the discussion, although I used the words "probably" and "admirable." Even the best of politicians don't need ego boosts.

Closer to home, (i.e. my academic life), I have been doing pretty well with my classes. Last week I even got out of a class I would have had to take next semester, by passing the Map of the Modern World exemption test. My French class has had some ups and downs and has generally taken quite a bit of work, but today I learned I got an A on our second quiz, of which I am quite proud. Two of my classes had their midterms two days ago (Principles of Microeconomics and History of Asian Cultures) and the midterm I have left, for International Relations, is in six days. This week we have Monday off, but my three day weekend will be packed with work. I'll even list it for you!
  • I have two essays to write for my proseminar, the first a three to five-pager and the second a five pager that I need to read a book for before I can write.
  • I have a book review to write for History of Asian Cultures, as well as a short response to two movies we saw in class.
  • In International Relations, I need to go through all the assigned reading so far and prepare myself for the midterm.
  • And lastly, for French I have do some exercises, go to the National Gallery of Art, and present a Power Point des beaux-arts a week from now.
It's all good stuff. If I do it all well I will be quite satisfied. It's that doing it part, though - as in creating peace and in doing homework, it needs work.

Comments

  1. I propose that YOU get the Nobel Peace Prize. I like you more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We don't know who the other nominees were! The election of President Obama has given many in the world greater hope for peace. So, he hasn't earned it yet perhaps, but I have hope that he will become a peacemaker. He certainly has a power and opportunities to work for peace. Let's pray that Obama will work to deserve the great honor he has received. Shalom.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!