Unfinished Posts of the Past: Civil Disobedience and Stimulus

I've been looking over posts that I still have saved as drafts, wondering if it would be possible to resurrect them. All of them are incomplete, of course, but I believe I found two that have enough substance to spark a little thought if anyone reads them. I know I never could get my mind back on the same track enough to finish writing these old unfinished posts and still do the original ideas justice, so instead I will post them in their incomplete state. Hopefully the reader will enjoy them, and maybe you can even add to them!
25 January 2009
Those who have read much of my writing may be aware of the emphasis I place on priorities - especially when it comes to ideals or idealistic goals. Perhaps most commonly I talk about priorities when it comes to animal rights; let's pursue human rights first, folks. Regardless, in readdressing the issue of pacifism recently I've come to the conclusion that my focus is misplaced when I talk about violence and war. Usually I only talk about my pacifism - non-violence, refusal to kill, etc. Instead I believe I need to talk more about something else - to make that my focus, and to assume pacifism as the obvious accompaniment to it. This is the ideal of action, the ideal of force - a lever with which one can move the world. The focus of which I speak is civil disobedience.
13 June 2009
As probably any somewhat-aware American can tell you, the federal bailouts and spending packages that have been commissioned during this economic slump have been riddled with problems. With our political processes still being the way they are, that should be self-evident. Seeing federal inefficiency and lack of accountability really does make one think about what we could do to to change such things, and ultimately in my mind the conclusion has to be to deemphasize that word "federal." Decentralization not only brings political processes closer to people, but it also makes them easier to change; that may not be the answer to governmental problems, but it's a good step towards finding them.

Comments