A New Conception of Spring

Apparently it will be in the 70's here by the end of this week. Some people say it's spring, but to me it already feels like summer.

In Ketchikan, spring's succession of winter is basically the progression from 30's and low 40's overcast and rainy weather to high 40's and 50's rainy and overcast weather. And I appreciate that. In fact, spring is perhaps my favorite time in Ketchikan, as winter is often just a bit too cold, fall a bit too wet and summer a bit too dry. I say "a bit" because weather and temperature really don't vary that much, month to month; the essential seasonal elements of my hometown are measured in the amount of sunlight and the amount of tourists.

After living in DC it's a little hard for me to understand why people get wrapped up in the extremes of Alaskan sunlight. Sunlight's seasonal changes and their effects are basically the same in the lower 48+DC - it's that ours are more exciting. My attitude towards winter darkness at Georgetown was exactly the same as it would have been 17 degrees farther north - except, again, that it's more boring for things to just go dark in early evening instead of in the afternoon.

Despite my erstwhile support for reform of the American academic year's calendar, I actually couldn't be happier with it now that I'm in college. While in high school, I thought of summer vacation as a monolithic, unnecessarily long break time that was most often no more than a "great forgetting" for students, meaning they had to be taught the same old things there next year around. Now, for one, going to school far away from home makes a large, congruent vacation time very convenient. For two, I don't think I could stand being in DC for any more of the summer than I have to be.

When I first visited Georgetown nearly a year ago, I overheated. Granted, I remember stubbornly insisting on keeping my jacket on, but that's something else entirely. Within the first month of school, in August and September, there were several nights when I just had to turn on the AC. I can't imagine how many of those nights there may be to come before I finish the semester. This place is just too hot!

Today it was sunny and in the 60's. That's perfect, DC. Please don't get warmer. Some picky Alaskans need optimum meteorological conditions to be able to focus on their studies here.

Comments

  1. When it is hot and muggy there....wear shorts, get a cold shower, run the AC, drink ice water...there are some ways to cool off that you can try! The summer is the muggiest and hottest there, and you'll be back in cool and rainy southeast Alaska, and you might even miss the heat! We're looking forward to a great summer with you! Love ya, Mum

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!