An Incredible Semester Schedule

It was just a few posts ago (in April) when I typed out the classes I was going to pre-register for to take this semester. It turns out I only got three of those five in pre-registration, but instead of International Perspectives on Global History I got my second choice, History of Ireland, so I was only one class short of a full load. Yesterday I found out that International Trade, the last class I wanted to take, is full and closed to registration or with dozens on the waitlist - for every period. Thus, today, after my first day of classes, I was forced to accept that I will not be taking economics this semester.

As much as I dislike economics for its immorality, pseudo-science, and general non-applicability to what I wish to do in life, I still have to take two more classes in the field. I did really want to take the ITrade class this semester, so then after I took IFinance the next, I'd be totally done with econ requirements. My current situation will postpone taking care of all that, and instead, I have ended up doing something I never expected to do: I am going to take four classes on European history this semester.

It's true. Here are all my classes:

  • History of Ireland
  • East European History
  • Social History of the French People
  • Comparative Political Systems
  • Europe: Fall of Rome to the Millenium

In short summary, my classes will cover medieval Ireland, East Central Europe up to c. 1800, a basic survey of French history (taught in French), comparative politics, and the Dark Ages. (So not only do I have three classes on Europe from the history department, but none of them are modern history.) I really don't know how this will all go. Although all these topics will be interesting, I'm sure, in the past I've thought rather critically of taking classes on Europe when there are so many based on the continent, and though I loved knights and castles as a kid, the middle ages have lost their luster for me over the years.

What will happen? We shall see. I'm sure I'll do well, but regardless, I think I may have to swear off classes on Europe for the rest of my life after going through this semester.

Comments

  1. How is the Eurocentric semester going so far? Are your courses challenging and interesting?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, they are challenging and interesting, but it is all just... very Eurocentric.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!