Ancestry in Alaska

I recently found a great map that has the 2000 census results for the plurality ancestry of each county/borough/parish of the country. It has a whole ton of gems: layers of African Americans, Italians and Irish fanning out from New York, the non-conformity of Hawai'i, the distribution of those responding "American" and many many more.

I, however, would like to look at Alaska again. Let's look first at my map that I made for this post two weeks ago. I am obviously not a great graphic artist, and this map has some big disadvantages, particularly in that it doesn't differentiate between electoral districts when they were won by the same candidate. Nevertheless, it does show regional electoral patterns, and it seems to me to be quite interesting to look at how this matches the 2000 Census data.
Here it is: The three colors represent, according to the Census, the ancestries of "Aleut/Eskimo," "American Indian," and "German." (If you don't know which corresponds to which, you can just go to the first link provided in the post.)

Right away, it's clear that, as far as the electoral districts match with boroughs, Lisa Murkowski won pluralities in areas with Native ethnic pluralities, while both Joe Miller and Scott McAdams only won pluralities in areas with European-American ethnic majorities.

Analysis based only on these two maps cannot go much deeper than that before more information would be necessary, but I think that these patterns are very interesting to look at. One notable exception to the pattern, of course, is Ketchikan, but I don't know how much this would be related to Ketchikan's particular attachment to Lisa or whether it is borne out in other situations as well.

Alaska is my home, and I care deeply about its history, people, and well-being as a community. I am currently in the process of becoming an academic; perhaps in three years, (likely many more), I will get back to you with an in-depth study of my state's incredibly unique demography.

Comments