The Election Map: Divisions, Geopolitical and Otherwise

Yes, I realize that it is only a short time after my last post. I don't believe, however, that simply editing the last with an addendum would do my further research justice.

Looking just at the Senate race vote results, (really the only interesting thing to come out of this election), I created an elementary little map, coloring in each electoral district based on whether there were more votes written in, for McAdams, or for Miller. Just that little bit of extra detail can drastically change one's view on the election.



Now, I was already well aware that there are geopolitical divisions in Alaska. Sarah Palin basically heralded the rise of the Mat-Su, or the greater south-central area outside of Anchorage. Population in that area has been growing rapidly, and with no better descriptors, I think it best to just leave my characterization of that population's general political leanings as being represented by Sarah. Thus, it was no surprise when I saw Joe Miller "winning" districts in this area.

At the same time, though, I was astounded by the margins: Some of these districts were landslides for Miller (not on Kenai or Fairbanks though, and in Kodiak write-ins were actually the plurality, but as the difference was only two votes, I thought it appropriate to color it red). Not only that, but Murkowski won only one of Fairbanks' districts. Thus, I think that what we have is not so much a whole Alaska clinging to its incumbents, but rather a far more dynamic situation. I am, of course, correcting what was a very flawed generalization on my part, but I think it had to be done. Besides, maps are always fun!

McAdams won only one Anchorage district; I would have expected more blue there, but he didn't even win his home area of Sitka, though he came close. My hope for the man is that he will keep trying, because I believe his positions really are admirable, and when conditions are better, someday, he may just gain state or national office.

Comments