Progress | Regress

Change happens. One belief that I think many people hang onto is that, in aggregate, changes in the world over time tend to be positive, and we as a species experience a gradual progression towards the future. Certainly not every believes this, and I think that for the most part, this sort of faith is a subconscious presence for those that possess it.

I think I possess it. I think that deep down, I really do believe, or perhaps just hope with all my strength, that the future, inevitably, will be brighter. My attitudes on life draw strength from this belief, as do my beliefs in humanity's goodness and the power of love. Call me naïve; I'm sure that according to some sort of objective measure I could probably be found as such. Nevertheless, to some extent, I think that these beliefs constitute the faith that sustains me, like religion does for others. The only problem is when things arise to confront that faith.

It's one thing for bad things to happen; I think that most people are able to reconcile these events with whatever creed they develop for themselves. It's something else entirely, however, when large groups of people support ongoing change that you adamantly oppose. This is what is going on in the U.S. right now - in Arizona and Wisconsin in particular.

Opinions on what is positive or progressive reform and what is negative or regressive reform vary, and of course, as opinions they are subjective. Nevertheless, I know I am not alone in thinking that the laws currently being promulgated by the Arizona government are despicably disgusting. (Even if that doesn't make sense, the alliteration is worth it.) I won't go into great detail on all that's been done, as one should be able to get much better information from the real media out there. I will, however, point out something I saw today in this article (but be careful, the NYT might be dumb and ask for a log in or something):
State Senator Russell Pearce, Republican of Arizona, said, "If you are ever going to stop this invasion, and it is an invasion, you have to quit rewarding people for breaking those laws."
To me, anti-immigration opinions are always rank with skewed perspective. The United States was a nation founded on immigration, expanded through immigration, and able, through immigrants, to completely repress and marginalize the people of this land who were not newly-arrived immigrants. Immigration can always be an "invasion" if you choose to characterize it that way, but in no way should it be given the negative connotation constantly foisted upon it by rapid anti-immigration activists.

One might think that I am negligent in my previous paragraph, because isn't the real problem illegal immigration? Isn't that what people are worried about and what laws are being passed against - not immigration in general? No. The draconian laws that have been instituted in Arizona or are currently proposed do not just target undocumented migrants - they target all non-white immigrants, Hispanics and even Native Americans and other minorities, such as with the patently insane law passed to forbid the teaching of minority histories.

The crazed and unconstitutional actions being taking by Arizona's out of control government merit, in my honest opinion, an immediate federal crackdown. Immigration law should be reformed - reformed to allow more people to enter this country legally and to grant amnesty to those already here, who constantly add value to our nation despite the persecution they face. I thought I would write about ongoing events in Wisconsin as well, but I think I will save that equally insane but incredibly different debacle for another time. For now, let us hope that the politics of regression spreading around this country dies off soon - the sooner the better.

Comments

  1. Undoubtedly those anti-immigration people are descendants of immigrants themselves, and undoubtedly they benefit from the work of recent immigrants, even undocumented ones. Remember that, "No human being is illegal."

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!