"Senegalese" Searches

Well, it seems that my posting of my recently completed research paper Senegalese Analogies: Parallels in Chinese and French Interaction with a West African Nation has been quite popular with Google. In fact, the post remains on the very first page for simply searching "Senegalese" on google.com, and a day or two back it was even higher on the list. Of course, searching "Senegalese analogies" returns me as the first result, but then naturally my post is nowhere to be found if you search "Senegal," which gives far more sensible results.

I say sensible because I still feel like far less than a scholar, or someone whose work should be read online by those seeking reliable information. I still may occasionally post academic assignments I've finished, but only because it's somewhat interesting to do so, perhaps also hoping that someone on the interweb might comment on it. "Senegalese Analogies" is not really as high-quality a piece as I think it could be, and what's more, it's a very difficult prospect to transfer footnotes onto Blogger.

Perhaps my standards are too high. After all, all sorts of people make information available online without any sort of qualifications. I may feel inadequate because I'm not some professional whose work is going on JSTOR, but when I think about it, it's rather likely that I'll never become that kind of writer. It's possible, I suppose, if I were to take the path to becoming a professor, but more likely I'd like to become a high school teacher, who besides writing little lectures for students would still really belong to a category of amateur historians.

These conflicted ideas aside, I think I would like to continue posting academic or semi-academic work on this blog, but only on occasion. What I'd really like to see, now that I've had at least a short term boost in readership and search returns, is comments. I haven't gotten comments from a stranger in so long... it's kind of a big deal for a small-time blogger.

Comments