Coining a New Political Witticism

If you're a young person and find yourself arguing politics with people more conservative and more elderly than you, you may have the experience of hearing this witticism (as I have, once or twice).
Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. 
Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.
Like a great many other quotes, this phrase has been misattributed to Winston Churchill, and the Churchill Centre and Museum even adds the comment, "Surely Churchill can't have used the words attributed to him. He'd been a Conservative at 15 and a Liberal at 35!" Nevertheless, this quote and variations on it are pretty popular, and I suspect it's because a great many people are indeed liberal when they're young and then more conservative when old.

Whether this is more often because people are more idealistic in their youth and grow more practical with age, or because attitudes that stay the same may become considered less liberal over time, I don't know. I do however think that there are many people to whom this witticism doesn't apply at all. I believe my grandparents, for example, were relatively conservative when younger and now are diehard Democrats! In any case, the end message of the phrase is that liberalism isn't intelligent, and that is something I vehemently disagree with.

Thus, I've decided to coin a new political witticism. Instead of being a response to the first, relating political viewpoint to age, this one addresses a factor that I'd say is a lot more relevant to political stances: one's level of power in society. After all, conservatives are at their root those who desire slow or little change, and liberals want a lot. With no further comment, then, here is my newly-created witticism:
If you're powerful and liberal, your heart's overpowered your brain.
If you're powerless and conservative, you have neither heart nor brain.

Comments