"Senegalese Analogies" Bibliography
I wrote "Senegalese Analogies" a year ago in April 2011 for a seminar called China's Evolving Role in Africa. After putting it on my blog, it's been one of my more popular posts, as I talked about here. Now I'm providing my bibliography for that paper. I would have put it in the original post, but that was extremely long already, and this bibliography is also extremely long. Let me know if there are any broken links or other problems. Here it is:
Parallels in Chinese and French Interaction with a West African Nation
- Akosah-Sarpong, Kofi. “Senegal, Gambia and Guinea Bissau join vast new oil economies.” Alexander’s Gas & Oil Connections, 23 February 2004. Retrieved 28 April 2011 from http://www.gasandoil.com/goc/news/nta41087.htm.
- Berthemet, Tanguy. “Le Sénégal grave son indépendance dans le bronze.” Le Figaro, 2 April 2010. http://www.lefigaro.fr/international/2010/04/03/01003-20100403ARTFIG00003-le-senegal-grave-son-independance-dans-le-bronze-.php.
- Brooks, George E. “Peanuts and Colonialism: Consequences of the Commercialization of Peanuts in West Africa, 1830-70.” The Journal of African History, Vol. 16, No. 1 (1975), http://www.jstor.org/stable/181097.
- Central Intelligence Agency. The World Factbook: Senegal. Updated 6 April 2011. Retrieved 25 April 2011 from https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/sg.html.
- “China signs zero-tariff trade deal with Senegal.” China Daily, 18 October 2008. Retrieved 19 April 2011 from http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2008-10/18/content_7118512.htm.
- “Chinese Goods Flood Dakar, Anger Competitors.” Voice of America, 23 September 2005. Retrieved 20 April 2011 from http://www.voanews.com/english/news/a-13-2005-09-23-voa29-66938417.html.
- “Chinese in Senegal protest violence against compatriots.” Radio Australia, 26 February 2009. Retrieved 27 April 2011 from http://www.radioaustralia.net.au/chinese/articles/s2502570.htm (translated into English using Google Translate).
- Colvin, Lucie Gallistel. Historical Dictionary of Senegal. Metuchen, N.J. and London: The Scarecrow Press, Inc., 1981. “Country Brief: Senegal.” Embassy of India, Dakar. Retrieved 24 April 2011 from http://meaindia.nic.in/meaxpsite/foreignrelation/22fr05.pdf.
- Cruise O’Brien, Donal B. “Ruling Class and Peasantry in Senegal, 1960-1976: The Politics of a Monocrop Economy,” in The Political Economy of Underdevelopment: Dependence in Senegal, edited by Rita Cruise O’Brien. Beverly Hills, California: Sage Publications, Inc., 1979.
- Cruise O’Brien, Rita. “Foreign Ascendance in the Economy and State: The French and Lebanese,” in The Political Economy of Underdevelopment: Dependence in Senegal, edited by Rita Cruise O’Brien. Beverly Hills, California: Sage Publications, Inc., 1979.
- ⎯⎯⎯ . White Society in Black Africa: The French of Senegal. London: Faber & Faber, Ltd, 1972.
- Daffé, Gaye. “La difficile reinsertion du Sénégal dans le commerce mondial,” in La société sénégalaise entre le local et le global, edited by Momar-Coumba Diop. Paris: Éditions Karthala, 2002.
- Delgado, Christopher L., and Sidi Jammeh. “Introduction: Structural Change in a Hostile Environment,” in The Political Economy of Senegal Under Structural Adjustment, edited by Christopher L. Delgado and Sidi Jammeh. New York: Praeger, 1991.
- Diagne, Sijh. “Development or Dependence? The China Factor in Senegal.” Northwestern Interdisciplinary Law Review Vol. 3, 2010. Retrieved 25 April 2011 from http://www.cics.northwestern.edu/documents/nilr/v3n1Diagne.pdf. [Link is now broken.]
- "Economy." Background Notes on Countries of the World: Republic of Senegal (September 2008): 5. Business Source Premier, EBSCOhost. Accessed April 11, 2011.
- Fitzsimmons, Caitlin. “A troubled frontier.” South China Morning Post, 17 January 2008. Retrieved 20 April 2011 from http://www.caitlinfitzsimmons.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/caitlin1.pdf.
- “Four-Nation Trip.” Africa Research Bulletin, 16 January 2009 – 15 February 2009, Blackwell Publishing, 2009.
- Freedom House. “Map of Freedom 2010, Senegal.” http://www.freedomhouse.org/template.cfm?page=363&year=2010.
- Gaye, Adama. “China in Africa: After the Gun and the Bible… A West African Perspective.” Retrieved 27 April 2011 from http://www.ciaonet.org/book/cup/0005392/f_0005392_4695.pdf.
- Gellar, Sheldon. Democracy in Senegal: Tocquevillian Analytics in Africa. New York: Palgrave MacMillan, 2005.
- ⎯⎯⎯ . Structural Changes and Colonial Dependency: Senegal 1885-1945. Beverly Hills, California: Sage Publications, Inc., 1976.
- Harneit-Sievers, Axel, et al. “China-African civil society dialogue in perspective,” in Chinese and African Perspectives on China in Africa, edited by Axel Harneit-Sievers et al. Cape Town, South Africa: Pambazuka Press, 2010.
- Haski, Pierre. “Au Sénégal, Wade inaugure une statue à la mesure de sa mégalo.” Rue89, April 3, 2010. http://www.rue89.com/2010/04/03/senegal-wade-inaugure-son-monument-de-la-renaissance-africaine-145915.
- IDDRA (UK) Ltd. “Executive Summary.” Analysis of the impact on ACP countries of opening up the EU import market for canned tuna, February 2004. http://www.anancy.net/documents/file_en/Tuna_study_30pager_EN.pdf.
- Johnson, Jeremy W. Political directions in former French (West) African colonies. Carlisle Barracks, Pennsylvania: Strategic Studies Institute, US Army War College, 1978.
- Klein, Martin A. “Colonial Rule and Structural Change: The Case of Sine-Saloum,” in The Political Economy of Underdevelopment: Dependence in Senegal, edited by Rita Cruise O’Brien. Beverly Hills, California: Sage Publications, Inc., 1979.
- “Lebanese Immigrants Boost West African Commerce.” Voice of America, 10 July 2007. Retrieved 22 April 2011 from http://www.voanews.com/english/news/a-13-2007-07-10-voa46.html.
- Lourens, Carli. “Senegal Peanut Output May Rise 550,000 Tons, USDA Says.” Bloomberg, 8 December 2008. Retrieved 19 April 2011 from http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=newsarchive&sid=axUxacPCabXA&refer=africa.
- “MOFA Statements.” Ministry of Foreign Affairs Republic of China. Retrieved 25 April 2011 from http://www.mofa.gov.tw/webapp/content.asp?cuItem=17046&ctNode=1037&mp=6.
- Naidu, Sanusha. “China in Africa: a maturing of the engagement?” in Chinese and African Perspectives on China in Africa, edited by Axel Harneit-Sievers et al. Cape Town, South Africa: Pambazuka Press, 2010.
- “Senegal – An Overview.” Mbendi Information Services. Retrieved 24 April 2011 from http://www.mbendi.com/land/af/sn/p0005.htm.
- “Senegal, China to increase strategic partnership.” Jollofnews, 15 April 2011. Retrieved 24 April 2011 from http://www.jollofnews.com/senegal-china-to-enhance-strategic-partnership.html.
- “Senegal offers rights for another phosphate mine.” The Hindu, 25 January 2008. Retrieved 25 April 2011 from http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/todays-paper/tp-economy/article1614290.ece?ref=archive.
- “Senegal picks China over Taiwan.” BBC News, 26 October 2005. Retrieved 26 April 2011 from http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/4377818.stm.
- Senghor, Léopold Sédar. On African Socialism. New York: Frederick A. Praeger, Inc., 1964.
- Talk de Paris. Wade – Sénégal [video], France 24, 2007. Retrieved 22 April 2011 from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvleFzvA9dw&NR=1&feature=fvwp.
- Tattersall, Nick, and Diadie Ba. “Shock riots betray unease in Senegal.” The China Post, 23 November 2007. Retrieved 23 April 2011 from http://www.chinapost.com.tw/international/2007/11/23/132026/Shock-riots.htm.
- Tidiane Sy, Hamadou. “Finding Opportunities Through Cheap Chinese Goods.” Inter Press Service News Agency, 27 August 2007. Retrieved 23 April 2011 from http://ipsnews.net/news.asp?idnews=39027.
- “Trade in Goods With Senegal.” U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved 24 April 2011 from http://www.census.gov/foreign-trade/balance/c7440.html.
- United Nations Commodity Trade Statistics Database. Retrieved 24 April 2011 from http://comtrade.un.org/db/default.aspx.
- Witness. The Colony [video], Al Jazeera, 2010. Retrieved 22 April 2011 from http://english.aljazeera.net/programmes/witness/2010/09/20109784210335575.html.
- Yuhua, Xiao. “Chinese perceptions of African CSOs: how should African CSOs engage China?” in Chinese and African Perspectives on China in Africa, edited by Axel Harneit-Sievers et al. Cape Town, South Africa: Pambazuka Press, 2010.