A Belated 4th Birthday Post for the Publisher

Three days ago, (on May Day), the Publisher celebrated its fourth birthday - four years of blogging, stretching from the last weeks of my junior year in high school to the last weeks of my junior year in college.

It seems I have quite the history of forgetting the blog's birthday. This post in 2009, celebrating PP's first anniversary, came on May 7th! In 2010 and 2011, it appears I didn't even note the Publisher's 2nd and 3rd birthdays. (I thought I had on one of the years, so perhaps I just missed the post.) In any case, here is what I wrote about the results of my blog's first year:
who knows how many comments from who knows how many visitors; visitors from who knows how many different places, visiting for who knows how many different reasons; 153 posts, 2478 visits, 3987 page views, countless moments writing, countless moments reading, countless records made, countless memories stored... one little blog.
Now I will repeat this paragraph, updating it for the blog's four long years:

I've received 266 comments from an uncertain number of visitors; visitors from at least 116 different countries and territories, visiting for who knows how many different reasons; 393 published posts, 9732 visits, 17168 page views, many more countless hours of writing and reading, more countless records made, many countless memories stored... one larger-than-average blog.

I say larger-than-average because I get the impression that most blogs never attain four years of active life.  Reading through many of my old posts, I noticed many of my friends and internet acquaintances who used to regularly leave comments here no longer continue their own blogs. The old links are either broken or the most recent post was years in the past. Has blogging gone out of fashion? Perhaps. It always sounds hackneyed to put Facebook and Twitter in the same sentence, but with the rise of tweets, Facebook status updates, and tumblr, (which I hate), longer internet writing today may have become more the domain of professionals, while angsty teens have stopped with the paragraphs and flocked around sentences - or a mere handful of characters.

I also noticed while exploring my old posts a great deal of evolution in the subjects, methods and the results of my blogging. It seems I used to write a lot more about myself and my daily life, giving summaries of my classes for the day, my upcoming homework and so on. At the same time, I also posted about politics a good deal more, such as the 2008 presidential election and Alaska politics - and I wrote on controversial topics of a non-political nature as well. The me of a few years ago, I think, sounded a lot more partisan and opinionated than the me of the present, who while not necessarily caring less about politics or possessing fewer opinions, certainly expresses itself much differently. (Another thing - I also write a lot more explicit and explanatory post titles than I did in the past!)

I get the impression that I used to get a lot more comments on the blog, and from a more varied audience, especially in my first year of writing. Perhaps this too has to do with a declining or changing blogosphere. It seems all the blogs I find nowadays of a personal or unprofessional nature are either from mothers posting stories of their children or dudes rambling on about technology. Again, what happened to the teenagers blogging their thoughts and feelings like I did? Perhaps there are still other blogs out there that are kindred souls of the Publisher. If so, though, I'll have to keep looking.

Comments