Me at 30? 40? 50?

My cousin recently suggested I should write about what I think I'll be doing at age 30. (Right now I'm 21.) Since my mom just turned 50 this year, I thought I might make a prediction for that age as well, and if I'm predicting 30 and 50, why not throw in 40 while I'm at it? I'll keep my predictions brief, and hopefully you'll find them interesting. Maybe sometime in the far off future I'll look back on this and see how well I did.

At 30 years old, I'll have had a bachelor's degree for eight years. (I'm getting it this coming year!) I'll probably have been married for a few years, (to my girlfriend, of course, whom I love very much), and we'll have settled down somewhere in Cascadia for her to be a nurse and me to be a teacher. I'll invest some of my extra time in continuing to write, and during the summer I'll find fun jobs. Most of all, though, I'll put a lot of effort into my curricula and always finding ways to become a better educator.

When I turn 40, I'm sure the wife and I will have had the chance to travel quite a bit, and maybe even work overseas for a few years. We may or may not have a kid, which would definitely make a huge difference in terms of the whole trajectory of our lives. (I'm really not going to make a prediction there.) Regardless, I'm sure we'll have done our best to explore new places and be of service to others in a variety of ways.

Finally, I think that being 50 is a big turning point in a lot of people's lives. At that age, I think you may start to see new horizons with what you want to do with the second half of your existence (and realistically, you've probably gotten into the second half already). I don't know what I'll be turning toward when I'm 50, but I bet I'll have already found a wonderful path to follow, one that involves lots of loving and learning and one that guides me to improve myself and help others as best as I can.

Looking south at sunset recently from Mountain Point, Ketchikan, Alaska

Comments