My MLK Day/Inauguration Day
The night before, however, I played "MLK Santa Claus" by putting up quotes from Dr. King all around the Georgetown campus. I think I chose relatively provocative quotes in most cases, rather than the oft-repeated ones that have grown to become so sanitized. In some cases I even made the quote appropriate for the place I put it: On one entrance to the new science building, I put the quote "Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men." And in the ICC (where all the would-be policy wonks have classes) I put up "A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual death."
Once I finally woke up the next day, I headed down to the National Mall to join in the Inauguration Day experience. I missed the inauguration ceremony, and I thought that by the time I got to the Mall the inaugural parage would be over as well, so I was planning on just visiting the MLK memorial. Just when I got to the Lincoln Memorial, though, my mom happened to text and call me, telling me the President was still on his way to the White House. I changed direction and set off for the White House: You can see the route of my walking that day below:
![]() |
| Blue traces my attempt to see the President in parade, red traces my return home. |
The map reveals my problems when I arrived near the White House: The ends of the streets were blocked. Unfortunately, I had approached the parade from the wrong side, and at my closest I could only catch a glimpse of the parade vehicles. I could see some of the people that were seeing the President arrive, but I couldn't see the President.
![]() |
| quotes on Georgetown buildings |



Comments
Post a Comment
Thank you for your comment!