Ten Photos From Ten Hours in Petersburg, Alaska
| Petersburg's friendly one-room airport |
What follows is an explanation for my delay accompanied by nine photos, (one above makes ten), taken during the ten hours I spent in the pretty and peaceful town of Petersburg.
![]() |
| collage of photos of the largest grocery store —note the Norwegian theme |
I returned to discover that there was no point in boarding the flight: It was heading back to Ketchikan, and I could have taken a direct flight in the evening from Ketchikan to Juneau, but the leg from Wrangell to Ketchikan was overloaded with seafood as well, and I wouldn't make it back to my home airport.
| state ferry passing some of the Petersburg fishing fleet |
As it turns out, my long delay was more adventure than misadventure, and although my girlfriend and I were unexpectedly separated for a day, we reunited the next morning when the ferry came into Juneau.
———
With just about three thousand inhabitants, Petersburg seems like quite the small town to someone like me from Ketchikan. It only has a few tourist-oriented shops downtown, decorated with Scandinavian flair. Still, Petersburg is the fourth-largest town in Southeast Alaska, after Juneau, Ketchikan, and Sitka, and I was quite impressed by the size of Petersburg's fishing fleet: Fishing is what the town was founded for, and what it still thrives on.
Interestingly, I think Petersburg may also be the most "white" town in Southeast Alaska, in terms of having the lowest percentage of Alaska Natives as inhabitants. Nevertheless, there were two very nice kootéeyaa (totem poles) in the center of town, honoring the area clans, and I did see several signs of Tlingit heritage peeking out of Petersburg's unique and proudly displayed Norwegian-ness.
| Sons of Norway hall viewed across Hammer Slough |
As I've alluded to, Petersburg is steeped in Norwegian heritage. It was founded by Norwegian immigrant and fishing mogul Peter T. Buschmann around 1910, and it's stayed proudly Norwegian ever since.
There are some lovely houses in Petersburg too, as well as quite a few bed and breakfasts. To the right is a photo of what was probably my favorite out of the houses I saw.
Finally, here's a view of Petersburg from the water, taken as I left. I hope you liked my photos, and please leave a comment!

Comments
Post a Comment
Thank you for your comment!