The Reason I'm an "Undeclared" Alaska Voter
![]() |
| Alaska voter registration political affiliation options |
When you add those who choose the label "nonpartisan," a full 53.8 percent of Alaska voters (266,072) refuse to register with any political party or group.
While others might try to analyze why this might be the case, I would simply like to share my thoughts. I'm an Alaskan who chose to check myself "undeclared" when I registered to vote. Here's why:
I can't think of myself as "nonpartisan." I clearly choose sides on political issues, and I'll support whatever side I agree with, so I reserve the right to be partisan.
I am also not necessarily an "independent" voter, as the media often labels us, even if that term isn't an official option in Alaska. I will join with groups that support the same cause as me; I don't need to believe I'm a lone individual who has a unique stand on every issue.
Ultimately, the reason I am registered "undeclared" is because I believe that if there was a political party in my region, state, or country whose principles largely aligned with mine, I would join that party enthusiastically and quickly.
As of right now, however, no such party exists—but I'll hold out hope that one could exist in the future.

Comments
Post a Comment
Thank you for your comment!