Top 5 Posts of 2015

The year 2015 has been the 25th calendar year of my life, and the 8th of Peter's Publisher. I started blogging soon after I became competent in using the internet, and I've continued to blog for the entirety of my adult life—regardless of whenever I think that started.

number of posts per
year on this blog
(will be 17 for 2015)
If you check out the sidebar of this blog that shows all my posts, you'll notice I've blogged less in 2015 than in any other year since I created the Publisher. I'm a little saddened by that fact, but I do have plenty of excuses: I've been teaching full-time, putting my all into it (and writing about it every now and then on my separate blog Teaching in Lingít Aaní); I went on big, three-week honeymoon over the summer with my wife, a little less than a year after our wedding (only mentioned here on the blog); and we just bought ourselves a home over the course of October and November. (I've been so busy with everything I didn't even share that news on here until now!)

Back in 2011 and 2012, I ended the year on the Publisher by sharing my Top 10 Posts of 2011 and Top 10 Posts of 2012. It's interesting to note that those were the two years in which I was most prolific in my blogging (117 posts each), and they were my last two full years as an undergraduate student, as I began my master's program and student teaching in 2013. I've never been able to blog as much ever since!

Nevertheless, I'll consider it a success that I have continued to blog when I can. Since I don't have much to choose from for a "top 10," I'd like to celebrate the end of the year with a list of my top 5 posts of 2015. Here they are, listed in the order I wrote them in:
5. Tina Fey's Disgusting Native Storyline in The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt
calling out a disgusting farce of Native assimilation—one example of how trying to do "smart" comedy can be even worse than more crudely offensive humor 
4. Yeah, A Song of Ice and Fire is Orientalist
in which I move on from criticizing the show Game of Thrones and take aim at the book series A Song of Ice and Fire and author George R. R. Martin himself for being orientalist
3. Panic vs. Tolerance: Gay Marriage, the Confederate Flag, and Wade Hampton
addresses how three greatly differing topics have all sparked panic and outrage in certain circles because of a lack of open-mindedness and tolerance 
2. I Resent Learners of Fictional Languages
confessing that people who learn Klingon, Elvish, or other invented languages seriously disappoint me, since they could be helping save real, endangered languages instead 
1. "Christmas Christians" and Reasons to Go to Church
asks why some Christians might only go to church on Christmas, and discusses my own story of moving from a church-going non-believer to a church-goer no more
The pieces I chose for this list all ended up being rather serious, and only the "Christmas Christians" post is particularly positive. Still, I think these were my favorite and best-written posts of 2015, and if you happen to find this list, I hope you enjoy reading some of them.

Have a happy New Year! I can't wait to see what 2016 has in store.

Comments